Riddles of Guild Wars 2
By: Justin Zablocki (author, Zablocki Bros. LLC) on September 1st, 2013 12:00 AM.
Like most people know, World of Warcraft is the largest massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) by subscribers (or it may now be second), but the world of Guild Wars 2 boasts numbers about half of that of WoW (3.5 million copies sold and 400,000 concurrent users). Guild Wars 2 also has another very interesting feature for a MMORPG, the world is responsive to a players action. This is very hard to do because of the huge flexibility needed for such a feature in a MMORPG compared to a single-player game. This continuation of the original Guild Wars is a fun and unique game full of puzzles and riddles to be solved. Here are some of them:
One prime example of the role of riddles in the game are the riddles asked by Raven's statues in Snowlord's Gate. Interaction with these statues brings up these riddles (the answers are at the bottom):
- Using me, battles are never fought alone. With me, bonds are never broken. Reveal my identity.
- I can be found on a mountain, yet you can hold me in your hand or walk over me. I will outlive you. Name me.
- Consume me and you will choke, but within me is the key to life and growth. What am I?
- I erode rock, break bodies, and consume cities. Yet, I am necessary for survival. What am I?
- I come for all who grow, crawl, and walk. I am the perfect hunter. In the end, I am the victor. What is my name?
- You can burn me, build a home from me, and carve me. There are countless ways to use me. Tell me my name.
- I move without legs. I push without arms. I speak without words. I howl without a mouth. What am I?
- I feast on air, but drink no water. I have no eyes of my own, but without me, you are blind. What am I?
- From pain and a scream, I bring newness into the world. From me, all legends begin. Reveal my name.
- Your hand cannot contain me. Your eye cannot see me. I am fleeting when held, but you can catch me if you stand still. What am I?
- A Mere Breath can kill me, yet a spark can bring me to life. My form has the power to dispel darkness. Reveal my Identity.
- I am beautiful in the winter sun, but brutal to the touch. I am a danger overhead and underfoot. What is my name?
- With me, you will never know reason. I will blind you to everything else and drive you to kill your enemy. What am I?
- I was alive when I fell, but among thousands of others, I died from being alone. Under your foot, my thin skin crumbles into dust. What am I?
- I will devour you from the inside out. I must be conquered every day, or I will take your life. Only in death can you stop me. Who am I?
- I roar. I can kill quickly. I swallow whole. Yet, I do not have teeth or a tongue. What am I?
- I blind hunters, frighten children, and no door can keep me out, yet each night I return. What am I?
- Cultivate me and I will grow. If you are worthy, I will become something that will last forever. Speak my name.
Upon completion these riddles will give experience, karma, and coin. Another similar challenge that will reward you for answering a riddle comes at Snowden Drifts. You must answer Corvin the Skaald's riddle. The riddle goes as follows:
19. What's sharper than the wolf's sharpest teeth, quicker than the quickest leopard, and more adaptable than a hibernating bear?
If you answer this correctly you get some rum (Raven Tonic).
- You are Loyalty.
- You are a rock.
- You are earth.
- You are water.
- You are death.
- You are wood.
- You are wind.
- You are fire.
- You are birth.
- You are a candle's flame.
- You are ice.
- You are rage
- You are dead leaves.
- You are hunger.
- You are an avalanche.
- You are darkness.
- You are a legend.
The ever-expanding and improving world of Guild Wars 2 is one of interest, fun, and riddles. Enjoy the game and solve riddles.